Monday, January 10, 2011

Go Ask Alice - Anonymous pg. 1-20

I started this book today with an open mind. Since many people have suggested this book to me, I of course had to read it and see what all the buzz was about. This book is about an actually diary of a 15-year-old drug user. That caught my eye right from the get-go because I really enjoy dark books like this. The diary of this girl started on September 16th. It started out sort of slow for me because she is very enthusiastic about everything .. Always putting exclimation points and repeating herself all the time. The wording was very old-timish, which sort of bugged me at first ... But I got over it. She is in love with this boy named Rodger at her school, who unfortunately stood her up. Thinking losing weight would make Rodger notice her, she lost 10 pounds, which didn't work. She hated going to school, afraid she would incounter an awkward run-in with Rodger. She believed her life was nothing (typical of a heart broken 15-year-old girl) until she meets a new boy named Scott, who she goes to a movie with. No matter what Scott did, she couldn't forget about her "one true love" Rodger. I can already tell shes insecure with herself, always talking about her weight and how she wishes she was wealthy, beautiful, popular, and wishes boys liked her. She almost obsessed over boys liking her already. Its sad. I feel bad for her.

Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years passed by. Shortly after, she discovered her, her parents, and her two siblings, Alexandria and Tim, were moving because of her fathers job. She was extremely excited to move and start a new life at a new school. Her little brother and sister automatically found friends, but she didn't. She was really nervous to go to school in a new town where she knew no one. Her first day was miserable, and she was even more depressed when she came home to her entire family talking about how amazing everything is for them. She says "Well, like oil and water, I can't quite adapt or fit." I think thats sad.

Well, so far I think the book is pretty good. She seems like a normal teenage girl just trying to figure out who she is. I'm really excited to start getting into the book and to hear her story. It really interests me, especially because its a true story. I like true stories .. Especially ones like this. Its horrifying reality I suppose. I'll make sure to read more of it tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment